Today I leave for Peoria, IL. I am going for work purposes, but when going to a new city I like to get a feel for where it is I'm headed. Here is what I found out about Peoria...
1. National Geographic has named it the "next great American adventure town!"
2. They are big baseball fans...the Peoria Chiefs
3. They have a beautiful riverfront area and the carnival is going to be there the same time I am! :)
4. Weather right now is mid 80's with 60% humidity
5. Its the 1/2 way point between Chicago and St. Louis.
6. Named after the Peoria tribe
7. Headquarters for Caterpillar Inc
8. Famous natives include:
Gary Richrath — guitarist from REO Speedwagon
Richard Pryor — comedian and actor
Susan G. Komen — namesake of Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Wayne A. Downing — Four-star general in the United States Army
Curly "Boo" Johnson — Harlem Globetrotter
Dan "Too Tall" Knapp — Brother of former NBA player Manute Bol and owner of Taco Johns
9. Famous for the saying: "Will It Play In Peoria?" On the Vaudeville circuit, it was said that if an act would succeed in Peoria, it would work anywhere.