Friday, July 25, 2008

Dark Knight - Rated PG-13


We went to see the new Batman movie last night - Dark Knight. It was 2.5 hours long...a looooong movie for a pregnant lady that had too much water at dinner. That being said...there had been so much hype about how great of a movie it was and how Heath Ledger was magnificent in it as the joker that Mr. C and I decided to have a night out and go watch it.

First, a commentary on SV movie theaters. Not as comfy and I'm used to and they have these bright neon orange guide lights on the stairs that made my eyes go crazy...I felt like I was going to fall the whole time I was trying to walk down them. I think John referred to me as a "clumsy pregnant lady." Hmph. I'm blaming the lights.

Regardless, the movie was good. Good action, good characters and I have to give props to Mr. Heath Ledger....as the joker he was magnificent. the best joker that I've seen in a batman movie...better than Tommy Lee Jones and I love Tommy Lee Jones. Its too bad that Mr. Ledger is now deceased and won't be around to glory in his performance.

The only part I didn't like was batman's voice. When Bruce Wayne turned into Batman his voice was suddenly this deep scratchy monstery voice...kind of like what you expect from a werewolf or something like that. I didn't like it. It also looked like he had a retainer in his mouth and was trying to talk around this weird mouthpiece.

Oh yeah and I didn't like that Two Face had such a minimal role at the end of the movie...even as long as it was it looked like they were just trying to get the movie to end.

Overall...from 1 to 5 stars I would give it a 4 ****. Recommended from the Larson peanut gallery - but don't drink too much before because it really does just keep going on forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh--I had almost the EXACT same experience! I was tossing and turning in my seat all night and decided that I am officially too pregnant for theatres--I'll be renting from now on until after the baby comes!

I also thought Ledger was brilliant as joker, but the movie was just so over-the-top. My sister calls it the "Gladiator syndrome" where Hollywood has to be constantly outdoing trends, so action movies have to get more intense, more extreme, etc. just as the Romans had to intensify their own entertianment choices in order to please the masses, resulting in genuine blood sports involving humans. Even watching the preview for the upcoming James Bond movie made me ill--I wonder what stunts they'll be needing to keep audiences entertained by the year 2020??