Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001 - September 11, 2010

Last year I wrote a blog about my experience on 9/11 - you can find it here http://chuckleheads.blogspot.com/2009/09/remembering-911.html  (if you are interested in reading about it.)  I was living in Alexandria, Virginia at the time and worked two blocks from the White House.  I could see the Pentagon smoke billowing from my office window that morning...I had friends working there. 

Today marks the 9-year anniversary of that terrible terrorist attack.  I think all of us have our own way of remembering this day - for some its a fleeting thought...perhaps a tear or two shed.  For others its remembering a loved one who died and feeling that ache in their heart.  For me...its become a day to remember the terror I felt...the helplessness...the absolute fear...and to wonder how people survive in countries of the world that live that terror, helplessness and fear daily.

September 11, 2001 - America was attacked with airplanes filled with innocent people and hatred. 

September 11, 2010 - My husband is in Afghanistan trying to stop the insurgents that would repeat this terrible act if they had a chance.  I am proud of him.  I wish he didn't have to be where he is right now...doing what he does.  I wish that world peace was a realistic and acheivable goal.  I wish that people didn't hate me simply because of the country that I was born in.

Today is a good day to hold close to you the ones you love.  Give an extra kiss goodnight.  Laugh a little more.  Hold them tight if they cry.  And say you love them more than ever.

In remembrance of a tragedy that occured 9 years ago today...

IMAGINE
by Robin Gimson



If flags flew freely, high in the sky,

And loved ones didn't have to cry,

Imagine if they could hold their lost friends and families tight

And give them just one more hug tonite


Just imagine if we had those buildings back

And the world was back on track


It is hard for us to imagine how such an ordinary day

Would change the world in this horrific way


We ask, could this happen again one day?


Imagine September 11th in your own way.





No comments: