Saturday, August 14, 2010

Seeing old friends...

One of the best parts of this trip back to Portland was the opportunity to see old friends of mine that I haven't had a chance to really "hang out" with for years.

One such friend, Stephyloulou is just the coolest chick around.  I'll never forget meeting Stephanie for the first time.  We were in Italy on our missions and I had "heard" about her...(FYI...thats not a good thing in the female missionary world...and usually means high maintenance)  Anyhow...I turn around at a conference we were at and in wafts a darling girl with coiffed hair, high heels and a hot pink suit.  I adored her instantly and we became the best of friends...actually, we were forced to become something as I was transferred to the city she was in and we became companions for just over a month...I'm really glad that something was best friends.  We had so many adventures...one in particular involves a broken bike, a 10 mile walk home, and a traveller singing "American woman"...but I digress... 



I think the thing that must be understood  about my friendship with Stephyloulou is how entirely DIFFERENT from each other we are.  She loves clothes and makeup and spending money.  She's a Wyoming cowgirl who can talk like a sailor and always gets what she wants with her womanly wiley charms.  She's my flighty dreaming passionate opposite.  We like to say that she encourages my creativity and I keep her grounded.  As much as I long to be called smokey and mysterious the truth is that practical and sensible are usually more correct in terms of describing me.  (although I did once get called mysterious by a boy named Mika who was terribly cute and I had such a crush...)

Princess Stephanie strikes again...


She's the one and only person that can get me to buy clothing that as soon as I'm out of her influence I roll my eyes and take back to the store...   And at the same time we love so much of the same things...including gelato and pizza margherita (italian style) and shoes and each other...

Oh look...with Auntie Stephanie around Bella got her first Starbucks drink and is wearing a brand new Polo outfit that she looks absolutely adorable in...  (See what I mean?)


And now, here we are...married and each with a baby of our own.  Its the first time we've seen each other since we both made these changes...and it was like being back in that stinky Italian apartment and laughing hysterically at some crazy person we'd met that day or talking about the beauty of the countryside we'd biked through or admiring the shoes as we windowshopped around the town...

I love you stephyloulou...

Steph and her son, Anders

This little cutie is 7 months old and weighs the same amount as Bella does at 21 months!


The only picture I could get Bella to actually sit near Anders so that we had some memory of them meeting as babies...


And the all important meeting Auntie Stephanie photo...I hope my daughter has a friend like her one day.

No comments: