Tuesday, January 08, 2008

B...b...b...babies?



MC had a vasectomy reversal today. Talk about painful...but we DID it!!!!!!! (Thats the eternal "we" as in I was there supporting and feeling appropriately sick about those big needles poking and prodding.) I couldn't believe the way nurses just jab with needles...gaaah. It really was disturbing.

MC is asleep right now...been loopy all day from the med cocktail they gave him...he was so brave...he was pretty nervous this AM...I could tell...it was a bag of mixed feelings for both of us.. His mood would go from playful to thoughtful then sad then back to happy....

When he had the "numbing solution" injected in I thought he was going to pass out...instead between large intakes of air to try and keep the pain minimized he squeaked out, "One is not enough...for this kind of pain you better want at least two kids...got it." Our nurse thought that was hilarious.

In his drugged dazed conciousness MC remembers the doctor talking about his swimmers...saying they looked healthy and "ready to rumble." I talked to the doc afterward and he basically said the same thing...I was hoping for him to use the term, "ready to rumble" but he didn't.

Then he handed me the post-op at home care sheet and I read these words, "If you do not acheive pregnancy in 3-4 months please reschedule an appointment to test the validity of the sperm."

My stomach dropped...it became real...THREE to FOUR months?! Suddenly I couldn't think straight...I mean, I know that we don't have to start trying for children immediately...

We had this done now more because MC is at that point where waiting longer reduces his chances of everything working right by like 30%...

Suddenly I was stopped dead in my tracks and all those fears...did we do the right thing? Are we too old? Did we think this through well enough?

Another mixture of feelings...happy, nervous, worried, happy...happy...happy.