Sunday, October 16, 2005

PULSE!


Last night was the coolest fundraiser benefit that I've ever participated in. They had 16 artists that all created some magnificent piece of work in 8 hours for congenital heart research in children. It was a great cause and the tickets were spendy...$45 for the evening or $100 for the evening with free drinks. Mr. Chucklehead and I went as the event photographers for the group. We had a smashing time. Starting at 1pm we followed the artists through the creation process (photographically) and it was fascinating. We were hooked up with this group because my sister is one of the artists.

They held it in this great big warehouse that has a huge train track set up all around and the evening turned out fabulously. They raised over $13,000 for research and costs associated with one little boy in particular. The couple that set up the event have a son that suffers from this. It was very touching and everyone was very generous.

I spent my evening running around from booth to booth trying to keep a log of the progression each artist made in their pictures. Some of them were really weird. They had a guy who created like a bird-woman thingy that I was so not impressed with and another that had a bunch of charcoal drawings that we used to do as warm-up in art classes...just figure drawings on brown paper. These things were selling for hundreds of dollars.

It makes me really want to get off my buns and figure out Oregon Artisans...you can really see the good that can be had from just a little teamwork and volunteers.

I'm inspired to paint now too!

UPDATE!!! - They raised $13,000 in straight donations, but you'll never believe how much they raised total....$63,000 dollars! IMPRESSIVE!

No comments: